facebookYelp  Icon

Certified Specialist Immigration and Nationality Law the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Business Immigration Lawyer Los Angeles

Led by a noted business immigration lawyer, the Law Offices of Henry A. Posada assists foreign nationals in obtaining lawful permanent resident status and temporary visas through business and employment relationships.

What is Business Immigration?

The United States has long been a powerhouse of economic opportunity for both its citizenry and foreign nationals. Going back centuries, people from all over the world have sought to gain entry to the United States to pursue the American Dream of wealth and success. It’s no secret that many of the United States’ most prominent business figures have come from foreign backgrounds. Moreover, the U.S. has long allowed foreign nationals to enter its borders on the grounds of making major investments or contributing to the economy, whether through the creation of jobs, enhancing the country’s performance in certain industries or scientific endeavors, or bettering trade between the U.S. and the immigrant’s home country.

There are several differing pathways for those coming into the United States for business purposes to achieve legal residence, whether permanent or temporary, including obtaining a business immigration visa or permanent residence. The Law Offices of Henry A. Posada is fully equipped to help you navigate the increasingly complex bureaucracy that envelopes legal immigration in the American system. Below you will find information on each of the ways foreign nationals can enter the United States legally.


1. Employment-Based Petitions Leading to Permanent Residence (Green Card)

Business Immigration Lawyer Los Angeles-business imageOur firm represents foreign nationals in all stages of employment-based immigration, including labor certifications before the United States Department of Labor (USDOL) and employment petitions before Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS).

A foreign national may obtain lawful permanent residence through a petition filed by his or her employer. Most employment-based immigrant petitions require, as a precondition, an offer of employment by a sponsoring employer and the filing and approval of a labor certification by USDOL.

We cover all employment-based avenues of immigration, including petitions for:

• Persons of Extraordinary Ability in the Sciences, Arts, Education, Business, or Athletics

• Outstanding Professors and Researchers

• Multinational Executives and Managers

• Professionals holding Advanced Degrees

• Persons of Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts, Athletics, or Business

• Professionals and Skilled Workers

2. Permanent Residence for Investor/Entrepreneur

Our firm represents foreign nationals in obtaining lawful permanent resident status through business investments. A foreign national may obtain lawful permanent resident status through investment in the United States. This is commonly known as an “investor” or “employment creation” immigrant visa.


Our firm assists foreign nationals in obtaining temporary business and employment visas. Some of the more widely used categories include:

1. Nonimmigrant Treaty Traders and Investor (E-1 and E-2 Visa)

Business ImmigrationE-1 Treaty Trader Visas and Business Immigration E-2 Treaty Investor Visas permit a foreign national to enter the United States to carry on substantial trade between the United States and the state in which the foreigner is a national (E-1) or to develop and direct an enterprise in which the foreign national has invested or is investing a “substantial amount of capital” (E-2). For the E-1 visa, the term “substantial trade” is determined by weighing the volume of trade, the number of transactions, and the continued course of trade, including demonstrating commitments for future trade. For E-2 visa purposes, the term “substantial amount of capital,” referred to as a “substantial investment,” is not defined. There is no specific dollar amount that is required to be invested. The amount can vary from enterprise to enterprise and consulate to consulate. The greater the total size of the enterprise, the greater the investment must be. Some examples of active investments that can qualify the issuance of an E-2 visa include a retail store, a restaurant, an import/export company, and a real estate development company. The investment may include the purchase of an existing business.

An E visa can be renewed in five-year increments virtually forever, as long as the trade or enterprise is ongoing. As the terms “treaty trader” and “treaty investor” indicate, only foreign nationals of countries that have signed treaties of commerce and navigation with the United States are eligible for these types of visas. Spouses and children of E visas holders may accompany them to the United States, and spouses, in particular, are allowed to obtain work permits. Once in this status, a foreign national may consider applying for lawful permanent resident status through another or related vehicle.

2. Nonimmigrant Visa for Intra-Company Transferee (L Visa)

A foreign national who, within the preceding three years, has been employed abroad for one continuous year by a qualifying organization may be admitted temporarily to the United States with an L visa to be employed by a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of that employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge. This is a category that allows a person who has been working in a foreign company to be transferred to its U.S. subsidiary or affiliate company to engage in managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge services. It is possible for a new U.S. company to be formed — affiliated in some way with the foreign company — but additional requirements must be fulfilled. There is nothing that prevents a foreign national from being the principal or the sole owner of both the foreign and United States entities. Initial admission may be for three years and may be extended, but this status cannot exceed a total of seven years for executives and managers or five years for employees of specialized knowledge. Spouses and children of L visa holders may accompany them to the United States, and spouses, in particular, are allowed to obtain work permits. Once in this status, a foreign national may consider applying for lawful permanent resident status through another or related vehicle.

3. Specialty Occupation Nonimmigrant Visa (H-1B Visa)

H-1B visas allow a foreign national to work in the United States in a specialty occupation, which generally means as professionals where possession of a bachelor or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum requirement for entry into the particular position, the degree requirement is common to the industry in parallel positions among similar organizations. An employer may also show that its particular position is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree, and that the employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position; or, the nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or higher. The visa is issued for three years and may be extended up to six years; it may be extended beyond six years under certain limited circumstances. There is an annual fiscal year limitation of 65,000 H-1B visas that may be issued in a given year, commonly referred to as the "H-1B cap." Spouses and children of H visa holders may accompany them to the United States. Once in this status, a foreign national may consider applying for lawful permanent resident status through another or related vehicle.

4. Nonimmigrant Visitors for Business (B-1 - Business Visa)

This visa allows for brief visits for business meetings, conferences, and training of brief duration. The visa is sometimes permitted for 6-month periods involving professional work activity but may not normally be used for hands-on work activity.

5. Nonimmigrant Visa for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability (O Visa)

O visas allow foreign nationals who have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics to temporarily work in the United States. The applicant must have sustained national or international acclaim and have a demonstrated record of achievement. The O alien must be entering the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability. The maximum period of validity of an approved O petition is three years. A petitioner may seek an extension in one-year increments.

6. Nonimmigrant Visa for Outstanding Athletes, Artists & Entertainers (P Visa)

P visas are reserved for athletes, artists, and certain entertainers who have achieved national or international recognition as outstanding in their field. The standard is somewhat less than for O visas but the scope of eligible services is more limited. There are three subcategories: P-1. Members of entertainment groups, or individual athletes and members of athletic teams; P-2. Artists or entertainers who are part of reciprocal international exchanges; and P-3. Artists or entertainers coming to perform in programs that are culturally unique.

Removal Defense

Unfortunately, an increasing number of immigrants from all walks of life and life experiences, including those with no serious legal issues in their past, are facing the threat of deportation and removal. Henry Posada and his legal team have successfully defended countless individuals allowing them to remain in the U.S., building a better life for themselves and their families.

Get in Touch Today

If you are seeking out the services of an experienced business immigration lawyer in Los Angeles with a track record of success, Mr. Posada and the entire team at the Law Offices of Henry A. Posada are here to help you, one or more employees, or a loved one, live and work legally in the United States. To get started, reach out by calling us at the phone number on your screen or through our contact page.